FRIENDSWOOD TEXAS | HOMES FOR SALE| JOHNNA JOHNSON | 713.558.2515 | BUY OR SALE
The Friendswood Independent School District was established on December 21, 1948. The district covers 15 square miles and borders the Alvin, Pearland and Clear Creek school districts.
A Quaker heritage that focused on church, family and schools still remains as a way of life for the community of Friendswood and it still continues to shape the character of the area. Education is a top priority and Friendswood ISD is an award-winning district with quality faculty and staff and tremendous community involvement.
Leading by example, FISD continues to be recognized in the area as well as in the state for test scores and accountability ratings. Its Academic Decathlon Team is known nationally and has more than a decade of consecutive State championships. FISD has been named the fifth most efficient Texas School District by the Texas Business Coalition. Friendswood High School was named 1 of 13 Top High Schools in the State as well as 1 of 10 Top High Schools in the Houston area. The Band, Choir and Drama Departments have been awarded exceptional honors annually.
FISD developed and put into place a pre-engineering program that is now part of both the high school and junior high. Partnerships with NASA based businesses and corporate programs continue to enrich the innovative, rigorous academic programs. Athletics in FISD are strong and State competitive.
Journey to Excellence is not only a theme for the district but a reality for its students.
FISD schools offer numerous extracurricular activities including drama and musical productions, choir, band, service organizations and clubs. The junior high and high school also compete in academic contests including Academic Decathlon and Octathlon, speech, debate, and competitive sports governed by the University Interscholastic League (UIL). A comprehensive athletic program is available to students in grades 7-12. All campuses have active parent organizations that support various school activities. For complete information about student participation at the high school level, follow this link to the Friendswood High School website. For web site access to the following departments at the High School, click on the desired link: Band, Choir, Drama, FHS Musical Archives, Wranglerettes, Athletics Department and other high school clubs and organizations.
CLEAR CREEK INDEPENDENT SCHOOL DISTRICT
(Harris County Residents)
The Clear Creek Independent School District (CCISD) is home to explorers and adventurers and is Leading the Way in the 21st Century! Nestled along the NASA Johnson Space Center in Houston and the boating waters of the Gulf of Mexico, Clear Creek ISD proudly serves the educational growth of more than 37,500 students every year and continues to be one of the most desirable places to raise a family in the Greater Houston area.
Clear Creek ISD is the 29th largest school district in Texas, out of 1,031 districts. The district employs more than 5,500 persons – 2,750 of which are teachers – and spans 103 square miles, 13 municipalities, and two counties (Harris and Galveston). Governed by a high performing Board of Trustees , Clear Creek ISD prides itself on involving all stakeholders in makingcurriculum , finance , and policy decisions, all of which are made with the best interest of children in mind.
Clear Creek ISD is comprised of 26 elementary, 9 intermediate, and 6 high schools . Each campus is led by a team of experienced and compassionate administrators, teachers and support personnel. CCISD is meeting the needs of community growth with the construction of new schools. In the fall of 2010, CCISD will open its seventh high school and tenth intermediate. These two schools will complete the first Education Village in Texas. The Education Village includes an elementary, intermediate, and a high school on one piece of land.
In 2010, Clear Creek ISD became one of the largest in Texas to receive the coveted Exemplary Rating from the Texas Education Agency. Previous to this achievement, Clear Creek ISD had the distinction of being the only large school district (a district with more than 25,000 students) in Texas to have earned a “Recognized” rating from the TEA for twelve of the last thirteen years. Currently, Clear Creek ISD is home to a record number of “Exemplary” rated schools. CCISD students outperform their state-wide peers on all Texas standardized tests and college readiness indicators holding a stellar record of continuous improvement. CCISD is equally passionate about eliminating the achievement gap among all student groups. This passion has yielded proven results with 97% of all students passing TAKS in reading and writing, 98% in social studies, 93% in math, and 94% in science. (*based on 2010 TAKS scores). Clear Creek high schools are proud of their students’ 97% graduation completion rate.
In addition to its regular educational programs, the District offers comprehensive, award-winning programs in the areas ofcareer and technical education, special education, bilingual education, compensatory education and gifted and talented education. The district is equally strong in fine arts and is known for top quality athletic programs. Support from community and outstanding parent teacher association volunteers and booster clubs is exceptional providing an extra element of school and civic pride.
CCISD is also recognized for superior financial management by state, national, and international organizations. Clear Creek ISD especially appreciates its business and community partnerships and their substantial contributions to the district’s quality programs and recognized academic achievements.
Fig orchards, satsuma orange orchards, and rice fields once flourished where Friendswood homes now stand. The last vestiges of them and the homes that the Quakers constructed are nearly gone, but the legacy left by those founders and early settlers remains. That legacy is the heritage of a way of life that did more to shape the character of the community than any brick and mortar buildings ever could.
In the spring of 1895 a Quaker named Frank Jacob Brown, who had been an adventuresome buffalo hunter, and a Quaker named Thomas Hadley Lewis, who was a college educated man, felt directed to this area of the Gulf Coast to establish a community dedicated to God. Starting Quaker colonies was a common practice of the religious sect called Quakers or Friends, as they were part of the westward movement across the nation in the middle to late 1800s. (The terms Quaker and Friends are synonymous and used interchangeably.)
When Brown and Lewis came upon this area in Northern Galveston County, they found 1,538 acres of prairie, well drained by Clear Creek, Coward's Creek, Mary's Creek, and Chigger Creek, and beautifully framed with the dense woods along the creeks. Feeling this surely was their "Promised Land," they negotiated with the owner, Galveston banker J. C. League, for a deed of trust, and on July 15, 1895 they recorded the name of the colony at the Court House in Galveston. They named it Friendswood.
Word of the colony spread among Quakers in the northern and midwest states, and soon more than a dozen families joined them. Friendswood developed as a farming community marked by hard work, simple, clean living, and a deep respect for God, the family, and education.
After the colony survived the Galveston Storm of 1900 with no loss of life, they used their sawmill to convert the swaths of trees felled by the storm into lumber for the construction of a two story building they called the Academy. It served them as church, school, and community meeting place until it was replaced by the present stone church building in 1949. The Academy (high school) operated by the Quakers offered a classical curriculum through 1928, and attracted students, in its earliest years, from surrounding towns that had no high school.
From 1895 to 1915, most of the newcomers were Quakers who came to be a part of the Quaker colony. Through 1920, the population was swollen by an influx of farmers, lured by Houston developers who advertised the Gulf Coast as a Garden of Eden where figs, oranges, and rice grew practically wild. By the early 1920s, there were 17,000 to 18,000 acres of figs from Winnie to San Leon, and 17 fig preserving plants. Two of those plants were in Friendswood. Support personnel for the farms brought more people to Friendswood, and the early 1930s brought families dispossessed by the Depression looking for a new chance in life. Late in the decade, the newly developing oil fields east and west of the community provided jobs for more newcomers. The war slowed the growth in the 1940s, but the decade still saw the beginning of a trend of wealthy business and professional people from Houston buying up property along the creeks.
For the first 50 years of Friendswood's life, it had a church, a school, a post office, a grocery store, and a fig plant or two. That was it. There was no doctor, no bank, no drug store, no policeman, not even a newspaper. Up to this time it was a rural, predominately Quaker settlement whose history is authenticated by the Texas State Historical Marker located on the Friends Church property.
During the 1950s, young families moving out from Houston began to give Friendswood its modern, bedroom stature, but the population was still less than 1,000 in 1959. In 1960, farsighted local men put into action a plan for the incorporation of Friendswood, and the town elected its first mayor, city council, and a law officer--a move which helped prepare it to cope with the tremendous growth which took place in the decade of the 1960s as hundreds of NASA employees chose Friendswood as their home. Subdivisions, schools, churches, businesses and community organizations mushroomed. By 1966 Friendswood had its first medical clinic, pharmacy, bank, newspaper and police department. In 1969 the population was 5,200.
Growth continued unabated through the 1970s and 1980s, and the population was nearing 29,000. Friendswood became a suburban community of fine homes, churches, businesses, schools and organizations. The strong volunteer instincts of the residents enabled the city to build a municipal building in 1965 without debt because residents donated labor, materials and funding. In 1971 they built a replica of the Frank J. Brown home to serve as a repository of Friendswood's heritage.
Since the 1980’s Friendswood has grown considerably; the current population is more than 36,000. Friendswood encompasses parts of two counties--Northern Galveston and southern Harris County, divided by the popular Clear Creek. Clear Creek offers direct water access to the Gulf of Mexico through Clear Lake and Galveston Bay. It is located 3 miles west of IH-45, halfway between Houston and Galveston. Friendswood encompasses 21 square miles and is over 70% developed. There is ample room for growth--commercially, industrially and residentially.
Within a thirty minute drive residents can attend cultural, educational and recreational events. Ballet, opera, theaters, orchestras, museums, NASA, amusements parks, observatories, zoos, major league sports of every kind, and the beach at Galveston are all conveniently available.
Education is an important part of every successful community. Friendswood lies within two premier school districts--Clear Creek ISD and Friendswood ISD. Both are rated among the best in Texas. There are several community colleges, as well as quality four year universities and upper level graduate schools in close proximity.
Transportation systems are well developed with road, air and rail easily accessible. Friendswood highways include IH 45, Texas Highway 35, FM 528, FM 518, and FM 2351. The local Clover Field Airport provides a 4,300 ft. hard surface, lighted general aviation runway with fuel service. Houston's William P. Hobby Airport, served by eight carriers, is 15 miles to the north. Ellington Field, 5 miles to the east, operates as a general aviation reliever and is utilized as a cargo field. Rail service is conveniently provided in adjacent towns by four major railway companies.
Link to Friendswood Historical Society
Call 713-558-2515 or Email email@example.com today!
SELLING YOUR HOME IN FRIENDSWOOD TEXAS? CLICK HERE. Johnna Johnson with RE/MAX Top Realty is the right Realtor to get yours SOLD!